Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Brussel Sprouts Made Over

I know what you are thinking---bad smelly green balls that the cafeteria lady has been boiling for over a week...

Oh contraire! My wonderful cousin Courtney mentioned a tasty-sounding recipe for these over Christmas, so I thought I would once again brave the brussel. I think my mother made these ONCE when I was little. Enough said.

So, yesterday's adventure was like the second time EVER that I have eaten a brussel sprout. And I have to say, that after that, I will eat them again.

I have no idea what this recipe is called so I'm calling it Southern Roasted Brussel Sprouts since they feature a southern favorite--the famous pecan. Behold the glory:

Southern Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Fresh brussel sprouts (I used one bag.)
2 TBSPs olive oil, or just enough to coat.
1 Cup crushed pecans
2 cloves finely minced garlic
Salt and Pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut the end off the spouts and then cut the sprouts in half and discard the outer, looser leaves if they are still on there (most of them will easily fall off).

Toss with enough olive oil to coat, around 2 tablespoons. Add salt, pepper, 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic, and about a cup of crushed pecans. Toss to coat and place cut-size down on a large jellyroll pan or rimmed baking sheet. Roast for about 25 minutes, until you notice they are tender and browning. I usually give the pan a few good shakes or reach in there oven and stir a few times.

Were they the BEST THING I EVER ATE? No. But they were a hellofalot better than your standard boiled green ball of stank. I did like them and I will probably make them again. They did taste pretty non-stinky and the nuts really made them extra special. Give 'um a try!


In other news, I still have yet to work out today. I am hoping to get on the elliptical tonight after Keira goes to bed since the hubs is out with a friend for dinner. What I really want is a glass of wine and my box of chocolate from Christmas. I really need cabinet locks...

No comments:

Post a Comment