Tuesday, February 9, 2010

SB Friendly Southwest Chicken Salad

I am proud to announce that Day 1 of South Beach went GREAT! I didn't even suffer! I thought it was pretty easy and the food I made was delish. Now, ask me again in a week and I will probably never want to see chicken or eggs ever again, but at the present time, all is A-OK.

I think I am going to post my meals for the day to give other people ideas. I will try and post 1 recipe a day too.

Yesterday for breakfast I had a Ham, Egg, and Cheese cup (recipe from yesterday).
Snack--10 Roasted Almonds
Lunch--Chicken salad with celery, fat-free cheese and balsamic vinegar spray dressing
Snack--30 pistachios and 1 low-fat string cheese
Dinner--Southwest Chicken Salad (recipe below)

Yesterday's Goals: ALL MET!

Today:
Breakfast--Ham, Egg and Cheese Cup
Snack--Cottage Cheese and Celery
Lunch--Chicken Salad with chick peas
Snack--30 Pistachios and string cheese
Dinner--Steak with cilantro pesto, roasted broccoli, salad

Goals for today:
Satan Trainer minimum 15 minutes
Drink minimum 64oz water

Southwest Chicken Salad
3/4 Cup--1 Cup chopped or pulled chicken breast***
1/2 Cup Black Beans
2 TBSP salsa
1 stalk celery
1/8-1/4 Cup Shredded Fat Free Cheddar cheese
Lettuce
1 Tsp olive oil
Balsamic or red wine vinegar to taste

In a microwave safe bowl mix salsa and chicken together. Add beans. Heat chicken and black beasn in microwave for 1 minute. Add cheese and microwave 1 additional minute. Chop celery and lettuce and top with chicken and bean mix. Drizzle with oil and vinegar. I am a huge fan of Cholula hot sauce and I topped my chicken with that as well. :) It was filling and very tasty!

***Chicken tip: At the beginning of the week, boil 4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts in a large pot of water with garlic salt and pepper. (This helps with the smell of just plain raw chicken cooking. Personally, I can't stand that smell!) It also gives it a very very mild flavor. Boil until temp reaches at least 165 degrees and easily will shred. Cool and shred and store in an air tight container for easy use for the week. This is a FAT FREE way to cook chicken! No frying, no oil and it's much faster than baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment